What with changeovers with players, net providers, etc etc the blog had been somewhat forgotten. However, I will try to keep it updated it from now on. However, as we have a new ‘official’ site in the making, along with all the core info, I’ll be posting some info on my own personal min’yo journey.
It has been a busy year for our group, with performances in Denmark at the Copenhagen Sakura Festival, the Japan Matsuri, a gig at Rich Mix to celebrate Tanabata, and most recently a gig in Manchester among others.
We’ve seen our group grow in size amazingly, and we have quite a few new younger members too, which is fantastic. Although they’re very good….I really should start practicing more!
I’ll be posting dates later this week for our upcoming rehearsals, and you can always email us or tweet us.
If you fancy dancing over playing/singing, check out:
We have a number of upcoming performances – please do come along!
• 19 Sept 2015, Japan Matsuri, Trafalgar Square, London, 1.15-1.30pm
• 5 Oct 2015, Lincoln Japan Festival, evening: a few members provide music for the Japanese folk-tale play “Yama – Tales of Shonai”
• 7 Nov 2015: Manchester Doki Doki Festival, afternoon
• 27/28/29 Nov 2015 (one of these dates): Hyper Japan Christmas Market, Tobacco Dock, London
Please also come along to our open day on 3 Oct 2015! Absolute beginners and more experienced performers are most welcome. Additionally, no knowledge of Japanese is needed!
Here are our upcoming rehearsal dates:
Saturdays 11am-3pm at SOAS in the main building.
• 12 Sept 2015 (mostly practicing for the Japan Matsuri)
• 10 Oct 2015 (more newbies please!)
• 24 Oct 2015 (focus on practice for Manchester Doki Doki Festival)
• 31 Oct 2015 (more Doki Doki practice)
• 14 Nov 2015 (begin practice for Hyper Japan)
• 21 Nov 2015 (more practice for Hyper Japan)
• 12 Dec 2015 [Room 116 (above foyer)] = Last of 2015! Followed by PARTY!
May: 23rd and 30th
June: 6th and 27th
October: 3rd and 17th
July: 12th Hyper Japan
Possible 12th, 19th, 26th and August 2nd supporting Yama Shonai at The Kings Head Theatre Pub
17th: Japanese Embassy, International Wine Challenge
October: 16th Japanese Embassy
November: 7th Doki Doki Manchester Festival
Other possible events:
September 19th/26th Japan Matsuri
November: 27th-29th Hyper Japan Christmas Market
March 2016: Sheffield Japan Day
For anyone unable to have made a first visit to the SOAS Min’yo group on other dates, or for those who were feeling a bit shy, we have declared October 17th from 11:00-15:00 an open day!
If you’ve been waiting to come along or if you’re new to SOAS, or have only just discovered min’yo, this day will let you try it all out. It will be organised as a teaching and demo session.
All rehearsals are at SOAS from 11:00-15:00 in G52 unless otherwise stated.
Apr 11th (Russell Room)
May 9th (Russell Room)
(MAYBE June 6)
The SOAS Min’yo group had a fantastic 2014 and are looking forward to a busy and productive 2015.
Latest Rehearsal Dates:
● 17 Jan (G52)
● 7 Feb (G52)
● 21 Mar (G52)
● 11 Apr (Russell Room)
● 18 Apr (G52)
*Possibility for extra meetup, 21, 28 Feb or 7 Mar.
All rehearsals take place in the main SOAS building from 11:00-15:00.
If you would like to contact us you can leave a message here or contact us at: